Monday, November 21, 2005

My Pet Peeves

Parking Lot Designs
Someone ought to realize that when you get out of your car, you are suddenly a PEDESTRIAN and design the parking lot/structure with that in mind! I mean, there are cars rushing about and nowhere safe to walk. Occasionally you'll find a parking area with a sidewalk between the noses of the parked cars where you can walk safely. That makes so much sense!

You really don't realize the importance of this until you are walking in a parking lot with children, as I did today. It was late afternoon and the grocery store parking lot was busy. I had both kids holding onto the cart, so if I stopped the cart, they would stop, too. I had to be VERY observant and vigilant as cars were moving all around us. We managed to navigate our way safely to the van, but it really got me thinking. Drivers can't see kids when they're backing up because the kids are too short, and kids don't understand brake lights and reverse lights, etc. Children will usually follow along if you say, "Stay on the sidewalk," but there are none in parking lots, and few in parking structures. Even if there were a painted pedestrian "path" to walk on, then drivers would be aware of it, people could walk in a designated place and kids would have a defined area to walk within.

Turn Signals
While I'm on the subject of cars, let me just spout off about turn signals. A turn signal is there to give drivers behind you a clue as to what you are about to do. It allows those of us not currently reading your mind to have the opportunity to slow down and not smash into you. So when you're reasonably close to your turn, go ahead and flip on the blinker. It doesn't cost anything extra, and your fellow drivers will appreciate it. But it doesn't count if you hit the brakes out of the blue and THEN turn on your signal as you're turning. That sort of defeats the point, as the driver behind you has already figured out what you're doing and has sent a stream of cuss words in your direction.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now, but don't think you've heard the last of my pet peeves!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home